Friday 10 April 2009

Prunes, glorious prunes...


Wallace and Gromit fest on g.o.l.d. on Good Friday evening. Go On Laugh Daily? That's... such a bad name for a channel. They clearly just made it fit. And it doesn't. Like my terrible Html-menace post wordplay. Except it was more crash than play. Switched over to BBC One now for more Wallace and Gromit wonder. A Matter of Loaf and Death. Now that's wordplay! Brilliant. I'd be so delighted if Bob ever became something like that. With all copyrights still mine and all the correct legal stuff in place.......

Today was a lot like that Sunday, a few weeks ago: woke up with no pain, a few hours went by, "Ooh", I thought, "has it finally settled down? Finally??" Went to get ready, in the bathroom and... oh look, it's the floor again. We've got some rather nice floor coverings here and one has to get right down there to really appreciate them. Looking down at them will not do anymore. But no, Mirena is still having a good old dance in there or hitting nerves or y'know, somethin'. A foxtrot, I think. Definitely not a waltz. I am so utterly desperate for *thinks of doctor name. Tries to not seem like she's copying Alright Tit but makes up names for people, too* Award-winning Consultant (he is, so that fits) to help me. I know I've said that before but this is not acceptable. I don't understand how they could tell me this is OK. Meh. Rant stops here. For now...

I'm really starting to dread my hospital appointment next Wednesday. Emotionally, today I feel all right, again. Am currently watching an old Red Dwarf, after the "Brand New" one. It was disappointing. An old one has followed and is laugh-out-loud funny. Not belly-aching, but chuckle-out-loud, at least. I think I watch a lot of comedy programmes. I like documentaries and dramas (I shan't mention The Wire at this point... bugger...) but I watch comedy stuff because - duh - it makes me laugh. I'm talking about the good stuff now, not unintentionally laughable broadcasts like Hollyoaks or Eastenders. No East Londoner I know speaks like that. It's a damnable insult!

When people ask me how I am, I'm often inclined to say "I'm fine", or "Not so bad", or "Good, thanks". But that is sort of lying, isn't it... Isn't it? I'm not all right, I'm really not OK and haven't been for months, so saying I am, feels wrong. At the same time, I don't necessarily want that many people to know what's wrong (at least, to know as much as I do) or what happens to me each... I was going to put "month" but actually, it's whenever it feckin' likes.
But then, if I say, "not so bad" or, "no change", usually, the asker wants to know what's wrong, if they don't already. And if I say, "I'd rather not" or, "Ohh that's not interesting", they become offended. This is not the rule for everyone by any means. It gets annoying and boring (I'm sorry but it does) having to explain what I've had done and what it is and what it's for and how it's meant to work and why it hurts... But, I have been very fortunate to have some friends and others who have been wonderful in letting me talk to them, in detail, about what happens. They've been invaluable: Lu (no, not me) and Kaye, in particular. Effing brilliant women, they are.

There are several troubles which accompany staying at home a lot and not being able to do much, I have discovered. eBay is one such trouble. Jeans, recently discontinued Avon products that are very good indeed, belts (I'd only find any "OK" belts in my local town, not the one I'm in, and as I can't get there, eBay is the place), notVelcro, yarn, knitting needles - all of these have been terrific from there. Terrific but I sort of forget these cost money and, while I don't go insane with spending, it does add up. Have to reign in all £13.74 of it. Or whatever it was. And it's always fun to look forward to: a package or a parcel. I always thought Good Friday was a holiday but "they" keep changing things. I got another parcel today. This was good. Maybe my jeans (getting size 10 long legged jeans to fit is not easy; 30ins will not do) will get here tomorrow, Saturday. Family round on Sunday for dinner. Busy times! They won’t be on the menu. But good food will be, no doubt. Hopefully, by then, I'll feel less queasy. American but EW.

The only thing I HAVE to buy - this is my law - is the new doves album, Kingdom Of Rust.

Overall, then, less a Good Friday, more a Gut Friday. And I don't even really speak German. Well, I know "nacht gut" and "das ist nacht gut". Some was learned from my Ma from her school days and the other bits from my Manchester-based German friend, Madeleine. I shall always think of her name and remember Bagpuss and his toy friends. Sorry, M...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. Caaam aaahhhnn...